Ransacked Black Oven
- Telephone 0131 667 7001
- Opening times Mon–Sun 10am–10pm.
- Seasonal times Festival: extended opening.
- Food served Mon–Thu 9am–9pm; Fri 9am–10pm; Sat 10am–10pm; Sun 10am–9pm.
- Pre-theatre price n/a
- Website ransackedblackoven.co.uk
Tasty, filling, fresh food inspired by Persian street fare.
Terrible name notwithstanding, Ransacked Black Oven is an excellent addition to the Edinburgh Uni quarter. Serving dishes inspired by Persian street food and breads freshly baked in the titular wood-fired oven, the food is packed with flavour and, crucial to its hungry student demographic, brilliant value. Sourdough pita is whisper-light and delightful dipped in grassy fresh olive oil then dredged in aromatic dukkah. Assemble a kebab selected from a choice of the daily changing salads, spreads, and fillings: of these, fried halloumi is a true star – dredged in cumin-seasoned flour and fried to a delightful crisp, it’s the stuff of Arabian dreams. The flatbread pizzas also change daily – the base is thin and crispy and liberally smothered in toppings, like smoky chorizo offset with a sweet onion marmalade and sharp olives. Those with a sweet tooth will thrill to the sweet kebabs; the salted chocolate and roast banana version requires you to abandon your dignity and accept mess everywhere, but boy it is worth it.
Freshly baked, wood fired, Persian inspired street food.
Inspired by our worldwide wanderings and our love of Persian street food; the Ransacked Black Oven was born…
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Comtemporary
- Capacity: 60 (16 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2018
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £11 (1/2 litre carafe) per bottle