The Square Bar & Restaurant
Westend bistro serving from brunch to dinner, with plenty of Scottish produce and influences, plus occasional pop-ups and take-overs. It's dog friendly and can be hired for exclusive event use.
The Square is curiously appointed. Set in the Broomhill Shopping Arcade alongside newsagents and dry cleaners, this restaurant has made the most of local produce to create dishes which are familiar and dependable. Salads, steaks, burgers, meat and two veg – this is a crowd-pleasing menu. Refreshing salads are the pick of the light bites – crisp, tangy and lightly dressed. Meaty mains prove to be the speciality here – chicken breast is served with the restaurant’s signature haggis dauphinoise, a creamy potato and haggis gratin that will make you wonder why nobody thought of it before. Dark wood, leather seats and chrome finishes give the interior an expensive feel, while a small smattering of tables out front offer al fresco dining – likewise the floor-to-ceiling glass frontage can slide open in the summer months to let the sunshine pour in. Occasional live music nights and pop-up dining events from celebrated local chefs are worth watching out for. As sated diners file out and straight into their nearby parked cars, you begin to appreciate that the unusual location has its upsides.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy Listening
- Live entertainment: Live music nights, not on set evening as of yet
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 100 (standing)
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £19 per bottle