Stocks Urban Bistro & Bar
- Telephone 0131 221 7211
- Bar open Tue–Sat 4pm–late. Bar closed Sun/Mon.
- Food served Mon 7am–5pm; Tue–Thu noon–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–9.30pm; Sun 8am–5pm.
- Website edinburgh.frasershospitality.com/en/…
City centre bistro, brasserie and bar with a view, which is firmly finding its feet after opening late 2017.
In prime off-Royal Mile position with customers on tap from the on-site Fraser Suites serviced apartments, Stocks could easily rest on its tourist-serving laurels. But Robbie Mitchell, enthusiastic owner since late 2017, aims to make this bistro/brasserie with bar next door into a locals’ go-to. Stocks is apparently a family name rather than a reference to the adjacent High Court, though it is well-placed for a breakfast roll or bracer before your trial. Inside the lovingly put together décor is on-trend: glazed jade tiles, pineapples and jungle vibes, while the menu is a mix of the contemporary and the brasserie classic with Scottish sourcing throughout. Most popular starter is the haggis Scotch egg with curry velouté; or there are Orkney scallops and even oysters. Mains include steak, slow-cooked lamb with mash and heritage carrots, and a good old burger and fries. Finish with tonka bean panacotta with the requisite wobble, or by-the-book chocolate fondant. Then repair to the snug little bar which has views to impress visitors and locals alike.
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 60s pop, 70s soul and R n B
- Capacity: 64
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £19 per bottle