Stocks Urban Bistro & Bar
- Telephone 0131 221 7211
- Bar open Tue–Sat 4pm–late. Bar closed Sun/Mon.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–9.30pm; Sun 8am–9pm (breakfast Mon–Sat 7–10am, Sun 8–10.30am).
- Website www.stocksedinburgh.co.uk
City-centre bistro with great views, offering breakfast, all-day menus and an imaginative à la carte.
Tucked away at the top of the Mound and the News Steps, Stocks is the in-house restaurant and room service for the adjoining Fraser Suites. But Robbie Mitchell, owner since 2017, is also developing it as a dining destination. A recent addition is a terrace with spectacular views. Inside, the two-tier dining room is decked out in muted colours, with banquettes and an eclectic mix of pictures on the walls. It is popular for breakfast, offers a good value lunch and has a growing reputation for its cocktails. The evening à la carte combines traditional bistro dishes with occasional forays off the beaten track. Haggis scotch egg is a popular starter, a crunchy outer on a perfectly-yolked egg accompanied by curry velouté, which adds a warming kick. Among the mains, slow cooked lamb falls apart to the touch, while tuna is seared on the outside and on the right side of pink when sliced open. Desserts are light – a tonka bean panacotta with berry coulis has a perfect wobble and is an ideal finale before heading outside into the tourist maelstrom.
- Private dining: Up to 16 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz and piano music
- Capacity: 64
- Largest group: 30–40
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £19 per bottle