Twists on gastropub favourites plus classic and new cocktails, from the same team behind the popular Café Tartine just along the row.
This row of bonded warehouse between the Shore and Ocean Terminal has had mixed fortunes over the last few years, but things are looking bright for Papillon. It helps of course that the bar is owned by the people behind Café Tartine a few doors down, one of the few places to survive and thrive for any length of time. And it’s hard to fault anything Joanne Ramsay and Michael Farrell have done here. There’s a huge spirit and liqueur collection lending truth to the claim that they can make pretty much anything you can think of, while the food is a solid, diverse selection of upmarket bar food. Starters include seared Asian jumbo prawns, breaded halloumi and mussels marinara in tomato and white wine sauce, for example, while mains are a focused and good quality selection of burgers (beef or halloumi), Tweed Valley steaks, fish dishes and a couple of vegetarian options.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Occasional live music.
- Capacity: 142
- Largest group: Seated 29; standing 250.
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 23
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle