Boston & Hawthorne
- Telephone 0131 261 5126
- Bar open Mon–Wed 6pm–1am; Thu–Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Wed 6pm–10pm, Thu–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.bostonandhawthorne.com
Just off Stockbridge's main drag, this quirky curiosities and oddities bar offers affordable cocktails and Italian-style street food.
The former Raeburn Bar has been given something of a rebrand. Although still sharing a little leftover décor with its predecessor, walls have been stripped back to expose stone and the cabinets are now filled with a whole host of oddities. A three-headed mouse, an illustration of the devil from the Codex Gigas (that’s the devil’s bible to me and you) and yes, a jarred baby feature amongst many antiques. The food offering is equally unique. ‘Historical’ Etruscan, Roman, Neapolitan and Sicilian-style banquets can be pre-ordered for up to ten people (complete with jugs of mead), while walk-ins pick away at Italian street food. House arancini arrives on a bed of purée, supposedly fennel and it's a pity the wild boar sausages aren't full-sized, though dunking pizza crusts into garlic butter is a real gluttonous treat. By cutting out the middleman, the wines are perhaps the cheapest in Stockbridge and their pizza and wine weekend deal is a real steal – if you're on a tight budget this could be the spot for you.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 1920's swing through to 1980's rock.
- Live entertainment: Monday quiz night.
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: March 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £14.15 per bottle