Steel Coulson Tap
- Telephone 0131 467 2479
- Opening times Mon–Thu 4–11pm; Fri 4pm–midnight; Sat 2pm–midnight; Sun 2–11pm.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 4–11pm; Fri/Sat 4pm–1am; Sun 2–11pm
- Food served Mon–Wed 4–11pm; Fri/Sat 4pm–1am; Sun 2–11pm. Reduced menu Mon–Wed and after 9.30pm.
- Website www.steelcoulson.com
Dawkins Beers make a move across the Border with this Leith taproom and bar.
Although Steel Coulson Tap is the first Scottish outpost of Bristol-based Dawkins Ales, it nevertheless feels like it's immersed in local brewing history. This comes partly from manager’s Laurence Quinn’s evident knowledge and enthusiasm and partly from the decision to name the bar after Steel Coulson, an Edinburgh brewery from the 19th century. The bar has a cosy, homely feel which suggests an any-night-of-the-week-local more than a weekend party spot, and with 17 beers on tap, nearly 20 in the fridge, some decent gins, wines and whiskies, and plans for an onsite microbrewery, it’s the kind of place to slow down and savour what you’re drinking. While the bar food menu isn’t extensive, it is inventive, with a black pudding scotch egg or a heaped pile of steak bites – cubed, fried steak – and potato rösti joining a cheeseburger and sharing cheese or meat plates.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Occasional live music and console games nights.
- Capacity: 60 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £20 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best new bars in Edinburgh31 May 2018
Our favourite watering holes that have popped up in the capital
A new bar for a new generation of gastros, winos and craft beer bros seems to open every week. Cask, craft and tank beer is here and has hit the mainstream, but there's more to bars than beer: a new wave of gin, wine, whisky and cocktail bars shows no…