The Wine House 1821
- Telephone 0131 557 1821
- Opening times Sun–Thurs until 11pm, Fri/Sat until 1am.
- Bar open Sun–Thurs noon–11pm, Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thurs noon–11pm, Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.winehouse1821.co.uk
Opened in June 2018, this Zonin Winery collaboration delivers a contemporary, Italian-focused wine bar.
After a succession of unsuccessful operators, perhaps few people envisaged that the ground floor of this four-storey Georgian building would end up as a wine bar decked out entirely in striking polished wood. Going for a contemporary feel, this collaboration by Sep Marini and Zonin Wines is already a hit with a slightly more mature crowd, who intermingle with those on date night. As you’d expect from seven generations of vintners, the wine list is a delight worth deliberating over; it’s packed with renowned Italian gems like gavi, falalghina, barolo and chianti, but you also won’t go wrong with the trusty house red, a Zonin montepulciano. For soaking up the main event, generous antipasti platters are scattered with fruit, nuts and golden olive oil-doused crostini, though melanzane parmigiana aficionados may be left a little underwhelmed. If you’re only after a quick drink you can take a bottle home to enjoy, or if wine’s not your thing there’s a basement cocktail bar too. With an elaborate function suite and a handful of boutique bedrooms, each with their own style of décor, there’s bound to be somewhere to suit.
The Wine House 1821 is Edinburgh’s newest destination venue created by Sep Marini & Zonin Wines.
Located in the heart of the new St James Quarter, The Wine House serves up an exceptional collection of over 100 wines as well as an array of drinks, cocktail creations and Italian beers.
There's also a fabulous event suite and four luxury, boutique guest rooms.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 60 function suite, 30 cocktail bar
- No. overnight rooms: 4
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Laid-back pop in wine bar, house music in cocktail bar.
- Capacity: 35 (8 outdoors)
- Open since: June 2018
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 29
- House wine: £20 per bottle