- Telephone 0131 229 1394
- Opening times Tue–Fri 5.30–9pm; Sat noon–3pm & 5.30–9pm; Sun noon–3pm; closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Thu 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon-3pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Considering introducing a pre–theatre menu in due course, probably a version of the existing weekend set lunch menu
- Website www.leftfieldedinburgh.co.uk
Confident and uncomplicated eating in a welcoming and relaxed neighborhood eatery, with Scottish Border beef steaks to the fore.
Consolidating Rachel Chisholm and Phil White’s considerable background in the Edinburgh restaurant scene, LeftField (formerly Katie’s Diner) is a welcoming and relaxed neighbourhood eatery in a stripped–back space, commanding impressive, uninterrupted views over Bruntsfield Links and The Meadows beyond. The straightforward, reasonably priced menu features Scottish ingredients served simply, such as starters of Shetland mussels and chicken liver pâté, and mains like beef burger, chicken or charred cauliflower. Scottish Border beef is prominent, with slabs of rump, sirloin, ribeye and fillet steak, all at least 8oz and matured for 28 days, served with proper chunky, crunchy chips. The dessert menu offers crowd-pleasers like chocolate cake, lemon tart and sticky toffee pudding and there are changing daily specials, often featuring locally sourced fish and seafood. With good veggie options, short but interesting wine and beer lists and great value weekend set lunches, this place looks set to establish itself quickly. You’ll find little fuss or frill at LeftField. It’s confident, charming and uncomplicated, to the point of appearing effortless - the kind of place every neighbourhood deserves.
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £19 per bottle
Reviews & features
Eating & Drinking Guide Awards 2018: Edinburgh winners16 Apr 2018
The List proudly presents the 25th edition of the Eating & Drinking Guide and its 2018 award winners
The List's annual Eating & Drinking Guide, published on 18 April 2018 with coverage of almost 1000 food and drink venues across Edinburgh and Glasgow, has announced the winners of its reformatted Eating & Drinking Awards for 2018.