Continuing the new wave of wine bars, this bright, casual spot on Leith's Shore has a wine list focusing on biodynamic, organic and natural wines, with casual food all day.
Stop all the clocks – whether you’re craving coffee and cake, or are more in the mood for wine and a sharing platter, there’s no ‘right’ time to have either at Toast, Edinburgh’s first ‘all-day wine café’ down at The Shore. Inside, large windows illuminate high ceilings, exposed brickwork and quirky wall tiles, while on sunny days outside seating overlooks the local swans on the water. The rotating wine list showcases nearly 30 wines by the glass, mostly biodynamic, natural or organic, giving customers freedom to try many varieties. The weekday breakfast and lunch, evening, and weekend brunch menus focus on seasonal dishes with strong Middle Eastern influences – head chef Lizzie Arber has plans to add more plant-based dishes over time. Monmouth coffee and sweet offerings from The Pastry Section, Grams and Patisserie Madeleine are almost irresistible. Sort out a coolish welcome with just a bit more attention to service, and this place will have it made.
- High point: Top-notch quality across the board
- Low point: Staff could be more welcoming
- Notable dish: Halloumi Fries
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, soul, cool vibes
- Capacity: 42 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 27
- House wine: £18 per bottle