The Counter Custom Burgers
- Telephone 0141 418 0873
- Opening times Sun–Thu 11am–10pm; Fri/Sat 11am–11pm
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £20 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.thecounter.com/locations/…
The first UK outlet for the US create-your-own burger specialists, boasting over a million combinations to dither over.
A collective groan may be heard at the opening of another burger spot in Glasgow, but the bubble has deflated enough recently to warrant approaching this US newcomer with a less jaded palate. It’s the first UK restaurant for the custom-built specialist, tucked away in a corner of the relatively tucked away Springfield Quay leisure complex – so a limited spectrum of footfall, but it has the rarity of Clydeside dining, including al fresco option. What the Counter brings to the burger scene is choice. Alongside a handful of house-styled options, there’s a tick-sheet of steps that gets a bit Trainspotting: choose protein, choose size, choose style, choose cheese, choose sauce, choose toppings, choose sides, choose premium. There are 100 boxes to swither over, and what’s borderline gimmicky becomes a rather fun and enthralling delve into a world of the common, the weird and the wonderful (salt and vingar crisps topping, anyone?) And when it comes, it’s good eating – patties are thick enough to hold succulence, fries are good, onion ‘strings’ are addictive – and if it’s not good, you’ll be mainly to blame. And if burgers aren’t your thing there is plenty of wriggle room – with even possibilities of do-it-yourself healthy and nutritious concoctions.
- Delivery: UberEats / Deliveroo
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Ed Sheeran and other pop
- Capacity: 86
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 2018
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £17 per bottle