The Bier Hoose
- Telephone 0131 629 2731
- Bar open Mon–Thu 3pm–1am; Fri–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Sun–Fri 5–10pm; Sat 2–10pm (sausages available until 1am)
Leith Walk bar specialising in German and Belgian beers, from the people behind The Old Chain Pier and Bar Brig.
The pub formerly known as the Boundary Bar has enjoyed a chequered history of late, with frequent name changes and the sense it’s been dining out on its historic position as a Checkpoint Charlie on the historic border between Edinburgh and Leith. New owners the Ross Brothers have given the place a more forward-thinking reboot as a craft beer bar with a distinctive focus on German and Belgian beers – 100 bottled and canned varieties, in fact, and ten taps, four of them rotating. This national influence extends to dishes of bratwurst, currywurst and meat and cheese platters, as well as less Teutonic hot wings and nachos, while the interesting interior – a bare-brick, church knave-style back room and wall-height doors which open onto an on-street beer terrace – hosts music, DJs, a Tuesday night pub quiz and an increasingly student-focused clientele.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live music Wed and Sun; DJ on Fri; pub quiz on Tue.
- Capacity: 60 (20 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £15 per bottle