- Telephone 0131 552 3292
- Opening times Mon & Tue 9am–11pm; Wed 9am–11.45pm; Thu–Sat 9am–1am; Sun 9am–midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–9pm.
- Average price £17.50 (lunch); £17.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.theherringbone.co.uk
A popular bar and bistro offering good eating and drinking in bright, comfortable surroundings.
While retaining some of the DNA of its North Berwick sister, Herringbone has been making its own statement in Edinburgh since opening in May 2017. With a high glass frontage curving around the former bank, light floods in to the Scandi-inspired space. In addition to a good selection of wines, cocktails and beers, it offers fine examples of contemporary, casual dining. Starters like mushrooms on toast or halloumi with mango salsa are simple, but full of flavour. As are mains – Antipodean and Scottish influences are felt in the likes of a Bass Rock salmon burger with sesame crust and cucumber pickle, or sticky chicken and kimchi. And then there’s the gin: the current popularity of everything gin is reflected in an extensive menu, surely another reason why Herringbone is already proving to be a very welcome addition to a corner of the city which has a dearth of quality dining and drinking options.
- High point: Tempting and tasty eats and drinks
- Low point: Service is a little hit and miss when busy
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chatter
- Live entertainment: Early days - may start cocktail classes etc.
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 14 (40-50 for drinks only)
- Open since: May 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 37
- House wine: £20 per bottle