- Telephone 0131 228 7517
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am. Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–9pm; Sat noon–10.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Market menu noon–7pm.
- Pre-theatre price £16 market menu
- Website www.ishkaedinburgh.co.uk
Sleek, sophisticated restaurant and bar with excellent cocktails and modern bistro-style food, in the heart of the financial district.
Early summer 2017 newcomer Ishka is a sleek restaurant/bar on busy Morrison Street, a location that's seemingly always on the cusp of up-and-coming. Bright yellow seating, a curvy bar, awffy nice glassware and dark grey tones create a warm, sophisticated space, with a strong cocktail list immediately hitting the right notes – the sweetly sophisticated Hedgerow Julep features ever-so-hot-right-now Aelder liqueur. A starter of pigeon breast is perfectly cooked, though the accompanying lentils could do with a bit more oomph, while a smoked chicken salad is well-balanced. Among mains the delicate flavour of roast plaice is overwhelmed by a substantial coating of nori (although the accompanying broth is fantastic) and the seasoning is rather muted on the black beans which accompany the otherwise well-cooked pork loin. The young waiting team are clearly keen-beans, which in practice can be a little obtrusive. This is a confident start from a venue with many of the right ingredients, including an interesting bar snacks menu featuring sea trout pâté, cauliflower hummus and monkfish cheek scampi, which should be popular with the financial district crowd looking for a fast, yet appealing, lunch option.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 28 in dining room, 35 in bar area
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £22 per bottle