- Telephone 0131 228 7517
- Seasonal times Summer months Fri/Sat noon–10pm
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–11.45pm. Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–8.30pm, 5–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–9pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Market menu Mon–Fri 5pm–6.30pm.
- Pre-theatre price £17.50 market menu
- Website www.ishkaedinburgh.co.uk
Sleek, sophisticated restaurant and bar with excellent cocktails and modern bistro-style food, in the heart of the financial district.
Ideally placed to pick up custom from office workers, businesses and visitors heading for the nearby conference centre, Ishka has all the hallmarks of a chic neighbourhood brasserie right in the heart of the financial district. Head chef Claire Lund and a small service team keep the venue ticking along day and night, dispensing an array of well-structured dishes that creatively showcase prime ingredients. Case in point: a halloumi starter featuring chunky crisp croquettes on a bed of shredded cabbage, with light fruity drizzles of lime and sesame, is bright, zingy and filling. From the mains, a perfectly handled pan-fried hake flakes effortlessly into its tomato, butterbean and red pepper stew, boosted by perky hits of coriander and basil pesto. Puddings also have charm, with a creamy panacotta delivering lustrous vanilla notes among spiky rhubarb mousse and unctuous homemade blueberry jam. Chatty service and a cordial atmosphere make dining here feel like hanging out in your mum's kitchen, if your mum was a superb cook with access to fab wine and twinkling cocktails.
- Private dining: Up to 14 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Spotify List varies throughout the day
- Capacity: 42
- Largest group: 42
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £22 per bottle