Honeycomb & Co
- Telephone 0131 228 4641
- Opening times Mon–Fri 7.30am–6pm; Sat 8am–6pm; Sun 8.30am–6pm.
- Seasonal times Dinner Thu–Sat during Aug (not 19).
- Bar open Mon–Fri 7.30am–6pm; Sat 8am–6pm; Sun 8am–6pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–5pm; Sat 8am–5pm; Sun 8am–6pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch)
- Website www.honeycombandco.com
Bright and sunny addition to the Bruntsfield scene with strong breakfast options, cheerful lunches and homemade baking and ice-cream.
In its enviably sun-soaked spot set back from busy Bruntsfield place, bright and cheery newcomer Honeycomb & Co blurs the distinctions between café and bistro. Mornings see a concise breakfast menu, including porridge (which is definitely having a moment) and specials like shakshuka and smoky beans on toast. Lunch focuses on bold, colourful salads, all available in four sizes, plus a selection of small plates and main-coursey specials (if you’re lucky, the shakshuka may still be on for lunch). Apart from an Andante sourdough, everything is made in-house including ice-cream whipped up in the discarded machines they found languishing in the basement, while meat comes from co-owner Susan Booth’s family farm, including an excellently crumbly black pudding. There’s a lot of experience and thought gone into this venture and it shows – not least in the pricing which sees a simple lunch with a side salad easily breaking the £12 mark. That said, the confident, well-sourced food and sunny welcome means locals are positively buzzing about it.
- High point: Lovely, warm welcoming vibe
- Low point: It will be too expensive for some
- Notable dish: Shakshuka with Store Company black pudding
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 40 (18 outdoors)
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: 18 per bottle