- Telephone 0131 466 2041
- Bar open Mon/Tue 4pm–midnight; Wed noon–midnight; Thu–Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–11pm.
- Food served Mon/Tue 4pm–9.30pm; Wed–Sun noon–9.30pm.
- Average price £6.50 soup and a sandwich (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.themockingbirdbaredinburgh.com
Lively yet relaxed bar and kitchen with a broad range of food and drink options.
Based in the no man’s land between the student-filled heart of Newington and the residential villas of Mayfield, the space occupied by the Mockingbird has had a few occupants in recent years. The new owner’s strategy seems clear though – to create a gorgeous, comfortable and versatile bar, the kind of place you’ll want to return to again and again. Spread over two split-levels (plus a function room upstairs), the dark wood finishes, wrought iron gantry and muted fairy lights highlight the room’s original features. The food is based around contemporary pub classics; rump steak, lamb shank, haggis and Stilton chicken or a wide choice of burgers from the à la carte menu, as well as cooked breakfasts, a very reasonable lunchtime soup and sandwich deal, and Sunday pork, lamb or nut roast specials.
- High point: A welcoming bar with a strong food offering
- Low point: The location is a wee bit awkward
- Notable dish: Slow-cooked lamb shank with gravy, buttered mash and seasonal veg.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £16 per bottle