- Telephone 0131 297 7444
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Menu presto Mon–Fri £4.95 for 1 course; all day Sunday £6.95 for 1 course; £10.95 for 2 courses; £14.95 for 3 courses
- Pre-theatre price £9.90
- Website www.tonymacaroni.co.uk
Barnton branch of this family-friendly Scottish chain of Italian restaurants with something for everyone.
The Barnton area of Edinburgh is famous for family homes (big and small) and a roundabout that spits you out of the city to the north and west. It’s not a thriving metropolis of interesting bars and restaurants, which probably makes it an ideal location for a branch of Scottish-Italian chain Tony Macaroni. Lunchtime and early evening sees this bright, modern restaurant packed full of locals. Booth-style leather upholstered seating surrounding wooden tables are ideal for family groups and the massive menu provides something for even the fussiest of eaters. Starters include a pretty standard calamari disappointingly served with sweet chilli sauce and mayonnaise rather than aioli or a good garlicky focaccia. Tony Macaroni sourdough-based pizzas are really very good, and the capricciosa comes with an indulgent egg as well as artichokes, black olives, wild mushrooms and ham. Importantly, dessert offers an impressive array of indulgent sundaes, such as a chocolate honeycomb Vesuvius topped with cream and marshmallows – be aware, though, as mum and dad may need to provide a helping spoon here.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop music
- Capacity: 140
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2014
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle