Six by Nico
A second restaurant for Nico Simeone (111 by Nico), serving up a different six-course tasting menu every six weeks.
Opened in March 2017, Six by Nico sees Nico Simeone bring his rapidly rising stock as a restaurateur into the heart of the fiercely competitive Finnieston scene, taking over the narrow premises once of Table 11. The concept is so appealing as to surely have neighbouring businesses watching nervously. A six-course tasting menu costs just £25, with wine-pairings – large pourings, be warned – only an additional £25. Better still, the theme changes every six weeks making for a fun and functional gimmick. A ‘chippie’ theme puts inventive spins on Scottish favourites, be it chips and cheese transposed to an amuse-bouche of confit potato topped with frothy parmesan espuma, served in a tea cup, or ‘special fish’ comprising soft white Shetland cod topped with a crispy cloud of beer batter (the ‘wine pairing’ being a pale ale). There’s theatre as the lid is lifted on Ayrshire pork ‘smoked sausage’ in a literal swirl of smoke. Deep-fried Mars Bar has no place in a fine-dining restaurant, except when it’s deconstructed to dulce leche, chocolate nougat and malt, each bite a treat. Come back six weeks later and you’ll eat a different meal altogether – and you will come back.
- High point: Full vegetarian menu available at all times
- Low point: Dishes aren’t served as hot as they ideally ought to be
- Notable dish: Deep fried Mars Bar: dulce leche, chocolate nougat, malt
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 38
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £20 per bottle