Salt & Vinegar
- Telephone 0141 632 7289
- Opening times Restaurant: Mon–Sun noon–10pm; Take–out: Mon–Sun 11.30am–11pm
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–9.30pm; Sat/Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Website saltandvinegarglasgow.co.uk
A cheery Shawlands chippy with top-notch fresh fish and Italian influences.
Trays of fresh fish and sacks of potatoes are on show by the door of Salt & Vinegar, newly opened in Shawlands on the city’s Southside. As the name would imply, fish and chips are very much what the place is about. These two essential components are served up brilliantly – the fish is fresh, succulent and cooked perfectly and the chips are certainly in good hands at the spotless, new fryers. But Salt & Vinegar also has an Italian heritage, and alongside the chippy staples on the menu is a selection of bruschetta, pasta and risotto. Some of this is terrific – the tomato bruschetta is fresh and full of flavour and the hot chilli king prawns served on Italian toast are plump and fulsome. But the Italian mains veer a little off course, with pre-made sauces being allowed to swamp the fresh fish, rather than allowing a smidgen of butter and lemon to suffice. It is a busy wee place though, staff are lovely and as the restaurant is currently waiting for a drinks licence, it makes for a great value night out (with a nice bottle of vino from the Co-op).
- High point: Fresh succulent fish …
- Low point: … swamped by sauces
- Notable dish: Special haddock in breadcrumbs with chips
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Classic hits
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2017
- BYOB: Free corkage (Awaiting licence)