- Telephone 0141 237 9220
- Opening times Wed–Sat noon–midnight; Sun noon–7pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 11am–7pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre price £12 (moules frites or fish and chips with a beer or wine)
- Website www.achalltainn.com
More than a great seafood restaurant, A’Challtainn shows creativity and skill with a contemporary international twist and a strong community vibe.
A’Challtainn nurtures a seemingly impossible blend of relaxed high-end dining, informal family eating, savvy bartending and exciting events. Skilled chefs working alongside owners with a pop-up background and a manager from a 5-star hotel provide a recipe for success and innovation. The uniquely flexible Barras architectural setting with mezzanine, pub and informal dining areas as well as a glassed in quiet area further enhances the offering. Weekly moments such as the Friday Oyster Happy Hour showcase their oyster range including plump and creamy from Lindisfarne and salty and earthy from Gigha. The Sunday brunch attracts the hungry crowds providing breakfasts for vegetarians, Scots and the gluten-free alongside sophisticated egg-based dishes such as trivette with crayfish and creole hollandaise for the adventurous or Barra poached eggs, haggis and hollandaise for the traditionalist. The restaurant menu includes a generous whole plaice lightly poached in lemon and butter which magically absorbs the flavours of the salsa verde and truffle mousse garnishes to produce a subtly perfumed dish, surprisingly cheaper than the fish and chips. The beetroot and chocolate genoise with goat’s cheese espuma, honeycomb and pistachio paste is an inventive and memorable treat.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Folk,funk,soul and disco attuned to time of day and atmosphere
- Live entertainment: Live gigs,craft fairs at weekends,special events such as long table with local celebrity chef Gary Maclean
- Capacity: 122
- Largest group: 122
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £19 per bottle
Reviews & features
2017 edition of The List Eating and Drinking Guide is released18 Apr 2017
Popular restaurant guide announces award winners including Norn, Bilson Eleven and The Scotch Malt Whisky Society
The 2017 edition of The List Eating and Drinking Guide is out and available to buy Wed 19 Apr. In the guide, the 24th annual round-up of the eating out scene in Edinburgh and Glasgow, nearly 1000 eating and drinking venues have been covered by a team of…