- Telephone 0141 237 9220
- Opening times Wed–Sat noon–midnight; Sun noon–7pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Food served Wed–Sat noon–midnight; Sun noon–7pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Pre-theatre times Set price via Itison only
- Average price £18 (lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Website www.achalltainn.com
More than a great fish and seafood restaurant, A’Challtainn is a focus for creativity and community and feels very international. A city break on the doorstep.
Taking its name from the Gaelic for hazel wood (and the Calton district), A’Challtainn is more than a cool bar and restaurant. A former covered market in the Barras is now reborn as Barras Art and Design and planned as the hub of an enterprising neighbourhood – the surrounding units house artisan producers and potential collaborators. Events in the adaptable indoor-outdoor space range from guest chef Long Tables to after-gig Q and As and vintage fairs. It is a bold vision but the energy and experience of Ricky Scoular and David Traynor (from Sub Club), together with the creativity and enthusiasm of head chef Garry Gill, should make this a reality. Food is modern and beautifully presented as a proper meal – not as stingy small plates. Expect dishes showcasing seasonal ingredients and skills – charred asparagus, sea trout in a white wine cream, or sweet beetroot gravlax – garnished delicately with truffle oil, micro coriander or pansies. Low season online-only offers also make this a truly affordable gastronomic experience. Hazel trees can live for 80 years – here’s hoping.
- High point: An international city-break feel – in a good way
- Low point: Low light levels after dark lessens full effect of pretty presentation
- Notable dish: Sea-reared trout, parmentier potatoes, kale, green peas, herb oil, white wine cream
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic classics
- Live entertainment: Music, vintage fairs, guest chef, Q and A with artists etc etc
- Capacity: 122
- Largest group: 122
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 30
- House wine: £24 per bottle
Reviews & features
2017 edition of The List Eating and Drinking Guide is released18 Apr 2017
Popular restaurant guide announces award winners including Norn, Bilson Eleven and The Scotch Malt Whisky Society
The 2017 edition of The List Eating and Drinking Guide is out and available to buy Wed 19 Apr. In the guide, the 24th annual round-up of the eating out scene in Edinburgh and Glasgow, nearly 1000 eating and drinking venues have been covered by a team of…