- Telephone 0141 583 0000
- Food served Sun–Wed 8am–10pm; Thu 8am–11pm; Fri/Sat 10am–midnight.
- Average price £11 (lunch); £11 (evening meal)
A contemporary pizzeria opposite Kelvingrove Art Gallery which combines style with tradition to maximum effect.
You are eating a cafone pizza with a topping of fior di latte, potato, portobello mushroom, porchetta, salsiccia piccante and garlic oil. You are in Baffo with its eye-catching igloo–like pizza oven, elegantly minimalist interior and superb outlook on Kelvingrove Art Gallery. Owner Francesco Longo’s strategies for Baffo are key to its success. The signature black moustache (‘baffo’) raises a smile from the outset, while the menu nicely balances contemporary trends with artisanal traditions. Enzo Trapanese from Salerno insists on 48-hour proving for his pizza dough which when coupled with the wonders of the oven creates a thin, crunchy, yet billowy wood smoke-infused crust. Toppings are described in Italian leading to essential bonding with waiting staff over the pizzas, which come in two sizes: tonda (12in round) and mezzo metro (half-metre) served on a raised wooden sharing tray – for carry-outs there are blood orange and brilliant aqua boxes. Abundant antipasti sharing platters, creamy pastas and gnocchi and stracceti Baffo – sugar and cinnamon coated pizza strips with nutella and vanilla ice-cream – extend the pleasure. And no deals since a two-course meal any time of day can be under a tenner.
- High point: Unique wine and beer lists and Prosecco on tap
- Low point: Utterly compelling
- Notable dish: Antipasto Baffo
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: staff selected Spotify mixes of contemporary music bot british and Italian
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £15 per bottle