- Telephone 0131 337 5757
- Opening times Tue & Wed 5–10pm; Thu–Sun noon–10pm; closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Thu 5–10pm; Fri–Sun noon–10pm. Closed Mon.
Outstanding no-frills pizzeria serving up authentic Neapolitan pizza and street food.
When street food is taken off the streets, something is often lost in translation. But at Pizzeria 1926 the heart and soul of Neapolitan pizza seems to have been transported direct from the bustle and noise of a Naples piazza. A confidently short menu consists of various cuoppo (Neapolitan-style fritto misto) and a list of around 10 pizzas ranging from the daringly simple to the thoughtfully adventurous. Cuoppo come in a brown paper cone; rustling deep-fried morsels of courgette flowers, stuffed olives, mozzarella, whitebait and more. It may not be particularly elegant, nor the lightest precursor to pizza, but washed down with a tumbler of superb value house wine, it’s damn enjoyable. Pizza, naturally, is Neapolitan style with a touch of yielding softness to the base. A special with friarielli (Italian bitter greens), spicy sausage and provola cheese is as delicious as it sounds while another with chopped octopus, tomatoes and oregano packs a gutsy punch of flavour and texture. This spot is alive with no-frills fun, fantastic food and a real sense of place — almost as good as an Italian mini-break.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: House wine is sold by 250ml/500ml/1000ml carafes – £3.95/£7.95/£14.95 per bottle