Villiers & Co
- Telephone 0141 332 7936
- Opening times Mon–Thu 9am–10pm; Fri/Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 11am–10pm.
- Bar open Sun–Sat 11am–midnight
- Food served Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri 9am–midnight; Sat 10am–midnight
- Average price £10 (lunch); £10 (evening meal)
Woodlands-based newcomer Villiers & Co specialises in all the good things in life: wine, charcuterie, coffee and cake - dished up in a smart and stylish venue.
This Charing Cross newcomer follows the template that has been established in Glasgow for wine bars: candles in bottles on the table, cheese (from Mewes) and charcuterie platters for food. But there's a whiff of modernity here, too – with brighter lights, a sense of space, more of a minimalist demeanour. There are some less commonly found Old World wines too – red from the Lirac AOC in the Rhône Valley (on the opposite side of the river from the Chateauneuf-du-Pape vineyards) or dry white from Jurançon near the Pyrenees, and all wines (seven white, seven red) are available by glass and carafe. And there are some interesting Pinot Noir and Chardonnay tasting flights. There’s also an emphasis on coffee and cake, which gives Villier’s & Co and its floor-to-ceiling windows a pleasingly chirpy manner right through the day.
- High point: Interesting French wines
- Low point: It's a stretch of town where venues often struggle for atmosphere
- Notable dish: Charcuterie platter
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul
- Capacity: 38
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £13.50 (500ml) per bottle