The Jaffle Joint
- Telephone 0131 657 2922
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10.30am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 10.30am–1am.
- Average price £9 (lunch); £9 (evening meal)
Entertaining café-bar full of games, music, and toasties.
It may sound like another speakeasy, but The Jaffle Joint is actually an homage to the humble toasted sandwich, ‘jaffle’ being Australian for a toastie – specifically those of the puffy pocket variety. This joint’s menu is all jaffles, all the time. The day begins with an Eggscuse me, filled with spinach, mushroom, eggs and cheese, or a Face full o’ breaky, with haggis, egg and bacon. There are also Avocuddle’s on offer (avocado, chilli flakes and feta), with pancake jaffles for dessert right up to 1am. Activities are many and varied, with Pacman, Space Invaders, crafts and live music for players of all ages. The drinks menu also reflects the family-friendly atmosphere, with a good selection of juices, milkshakes, teas and coffee in addition to beer, wine and cocktails. The traditional pub interior has been brightened up with colourful splashes of paint, but retains the cosy feel of a good boozer.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 90s feelgood
- Live entertainment: Live music, open mics, family music sessions, craft club, retro games.
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best kid-friendly restaurants in Edinburgh31 May 2018
Buggies, toys and tots are welcome at these child-friendly cafés, pubs and restaurants
Great for parents with buggies, toddlers with discerning appetites and kids yearning for a play area or pack of crayons, these child-friendly eateries are great for the whole family - no baby sitter required.
Best for beer gardens in Edinburgh28 Apr 2017
Our top picks for where to catch some rays with a pint in hand
On those cherished days when the sun has got his hat on and the mercury nudges 'taps aff', make a beeline for one of Edinburgh's beer gardens. Or, whatever the weather, just wear a coat and pretend you're in Munich. Barrelhouse Bar & Grill This…