- Telephone 0131 629 2622
- Opening times Mon–Sat 9am–3.30pm; closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–3.30pm; Sat 9am–3.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £5 (lunch)
This wee café is all about the oats – healthy bowls of porridge and granola served with inventive and delicious toppings.
This wee Marchmont café, with its bright white and pale blue walls, and Scandinavian-style furniture, is all about oats and grains – named Brochan after the Gaelic word for porridge. Forget any notions of thin watery gruel however; owner and porridge enthusiast Elaine Morrison creates delicious bowls of healthy porridge from scratch. Organic oat groats are hand-rolled to provide the creamiest results. Toppings are inventive and delicious, and dietary requirements are well considered. An almond butter, strawberry chia jam and sliced banana porridge bowl is satisfying, while the lemon pistachio granola (made from gluten-free oats) with blueberry compote and coconut yoghurt is sweet yet sharp, creamy yet crunchy. Who said porridge and granola are just for breakfast? The menu also features toast, smoothies, soup and home-baking, which can all be enjoyed in this cosy spot or savoured as takeaway too.
- High point: Healthy and delicious homemade toppings
- Low point: Closed on Sundays
- Notable dish: Lemon pistachio granola with blueberry compote and yoghurt
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled lounge music
- Capacity: 11
- Largest group: 6
- Open since: October 2016