Barrelhouse Bar & Grill
- Telephone 0131 661 0811
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £14 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
A local bar decked out like a Louisiana roadhouse offering beer, cocktails, quality North American-inspired food, blues music and an impressive beer garden.
Hitting the press in its early days for its deliberately half-finished look, the Barrelhouse Bar & Grill is a great local bar – and not just because it’s the only contemporary choice around the Jock’s Lodge area. There's good drinking, with decent beers, wines and cocktails. There's good eating, with a menu based around North American-influenced food: chicken, chorizo and prawn-filled jambalaya, southern fried chicken, and Philly cheesesteak with fries. And there are good times too, with weekly blues, rock 'n' roll and Americana music sessions. Staff are friendly and the commitment shown to making the large room look like a dilapidated but homely Louisiana roadhouse, as well as transforming the outside space into a large beer garden with space for summer barbecues and spit roasts, is commendable.
- High point: Stunning Black Forest cheesecake
- Low point: The huge building is cold when not full
- Notable dish: Spicy Louisiana jambalaya with chicken, smoked chorizo and king prawns.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 1950s jukebox rock 'n' roll.
- Live entertainment: Music every Thu 9–11pm; blues sessions Sun 4–6pm. Occasional special events.
- Capacity: 60 (100 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £17 per bottle