The Spanish Butcher
- Telephone 0141 406 9880
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight Fri/Sat noon–1am Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6pm
- Average price £15 (set lunch); £28 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.spanishbutcher.com
Rusk & Rusk's latest venture, set within modern New York loft style interiors, with Spanish and Mediterranean influences and fine cuts of Galician beef and seafood.
With arching ferns and elegant vintage shutter dividers, visitors could be forgiven for thinking they had wandered onto a Fellini film set, in downtown Madrid. Add a splash of cosmopolitan style, a menu filled with outstanding cuts of meat and fish and you have the essence of the latest venue from the owners of the Butchershop and Hutchesons. In elegant and intimate surrounds there’s a fine-dining feel to the exquisite presentation of courgette flower stuffed with salt cod, decorated with anise flower. The flavours match the decorative work with salt and sweet artfully balanced in a memorable opener. While seafood fans will find plenty to love, the main attraction is expertly prepared meat, sourced mostly from Galicia in Spain’s north-west. Corn-fed Iberican pork served with a light and tangy green salsa could tempt Morrissey to the butchers. It comes medium-rare with a crunchy exterior packed full of flavour and it’s heaven for refined carnivores. Even the small packages pack a sophisticated punch with secreto pork sliders deliciously paired with smokey lobster aioli. A sophisticated downtown debut already at the top of its game.
- High point: Effortlessly classy
- Low point: Superhero print in the toilets
- Notable dish: Fried courgette flower stuffed with salt cod, beetroot salad, nasturtium, anise flower
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: soul
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 26
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £18 per bottle