The Spanish Butcher
- Telephone 0141 406 9880
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight Fri/Sat noon–1am Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu noon–6pm, Fri/Sat noon–5pm, Sun 5pm–6pm
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.spanishbutcher.com
Superior Spanish meat served New-York steakhouse style.
There may be more to food in Spain than tapas, but virtually every Spanish-themed restaurant in Glasgow focuses on small plates for sharing. Here’s the exception – a smart dining room where your meal is likely to be a traditional and serious three-course undertaking, best tackled with a steak knife. The Spanish Butcher – part of the Rusk and Rusk group who have Hutchesons and the Butchershop – specialises in the beef of blond Galician cattle from the green north-west of the country, dry-aged for up to 45 days and served as cuts priced by weight. Rare even in Spain, this is arguably some of the best beef in the world – but if you don’t fancy it there’s iberico pork from acorn-fed pigs, a few deftly handled fish dishes and even a token cauliflower steak. Accompaniments are appropriately simple and satisfying – chunky fries with Manchego cheese, charred broccoli, romesco and salsa verde sauces. While prices can climb high here, the two-course lunch and pre-theatre is remarkably good value for the quality (and quantity) on offer. There’s also a Sunday roast deal, and regular promotions based around special cuts of meat to share.
- Private dining: Up to 26 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: (Rather loud) funk, R&B, jazz
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 26
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £18 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best steak in Glasgow31 May 2018
Restaurants in the city that are serious about steak
From true Argentinian steakhouses to prime Scottish cuts, Glasgow has a number of restaurants that cater to the carnivore.