Spilt Milk Social Club
- Telephone 0131 555 4094
- Food served Tue–Fri 8.30am–5pm; Sat/Sun 11am–5pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £7 (lunch)
Above Music Base recording studios in Leith, Spilt Milk dishes up breakfast, coffee, toasties and milkshakes.
Expect a steady stream of musicians carrying guitar cases and bits of kit down the stairs to the music rehearsal rooms below. Upstairs on street level, this café on Great Junction Street is a small, friendly spot for enjoying an indulgent milkshake (try their Hershey's cookies & cream, fresh strawberries & white chocolate or peanut butter cup served in a chunky glass jar and topped with cream), or get a cup of strong coffee and a slice of mint chocolate tiffin. The food menu is limited but good; simple tuna melt or cheese toasties on granary bread, panini, soup of the day, salads, or breakfasts of scrambled eggs with salmon or avocado. It’s a relaxing place to check emails or idle over a cup of tea, but the bright, narrow room doesn’t have many seats – if it’s a full house, takeaway is also an option.
- High point: Cheery service, feelgood milkshakes
- Low point: Toilets are buried deep in the basement
- Notable dish: Honeycomb crunch milkshake
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: BBC 6 Radio
- Capacity: 8
- Open since: October 2016