- Telephone 0131 226 2262
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–11pm; Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Bar open Licence until 1am (service dependent)
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–11pm; Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6.30pm
- Average price Mon–Fri £10.95 (set lunch); £21.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95 two courses, £12.95 three courses
- Website www.caurestaurants.com
CAU is a stylish steakhouse inspired by those in the heart of Buenos Aires, with branches in Glasgow, London and Amsterdam.
Replacing Strada, Argentinian steak chain Cau rolled out its 23rd branch on bustling Castle Street. White metal corrugated panels and images of grass and blue skies line the room. Contrasted with dark suede furnishings and inky ceilings, the nightclub vibe may get you in the mood for dancing. Not a problem – swivel chairs that spin incessantly mid-meal. Steamed mussels gatecrash the Hispanic starters of empanadas and anticuchos skewers, with wet vac-packed Aberdeen Angus complete with proper chips proving a popular choice to follow. Battered pollock tacos, loaded with peppers, kick off the great value £10.95 weekday set menu with questionably pink Monterey Jack burgers and a carby side thrown in. Sadly the house Fancy Pants wine is anything but and the nonchalant 'Cauboys' and 'Caugirls' will have to up their service standards to impress.
- High point: Chunky chips
- Low point: Doesn't live up to the hype
- Delivery: Deliveroo: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/new-town/cau-edinburgh
- Private dining: Upstairs opening in summer, 75. Outdoor seating 20–30 people.
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mix of Argentinian, contemporary & chart
- Capacity: 100 downstairs (75 upstairs, 20–30 outside)
- Largest group: 16-20
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 24
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle