- Telephone 0131 226 2262
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–11pm; Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price Two courses £11, three courses 13.
- Website www.caurestaurants.com
Slick city centre steakhouse chain with a Latin vibe.
This steak chain aims to bring the buzz of Buenos Aires to the UK high street. The interior is a quirky mixture of grass wallpaper, white corrugated panels and slick lighting – casual but sufficiently stylish for a city centre night out. There’s a succinct list of pan-American starters such as vinegar-spiked fish tacos or crispy fried shrimp, but steak is the heart of the menu. Specialising in prime grass-fed Aberdeen Angus, cut on-site then imported from Argentina, the steaks are well-hung with a good depth of flavour. Sizes range from 220g to 600g and are served simply grilled or marinated. Sauces are under-powered though, especially the chimichurri, while the sweet potato fries are rather oily. There’s no subtlety about the puddings; a cornflake sundae is a huge gooey mix and cheesecake comes in slabs. The wine list features lots of Argentinian bottles with a section devoted to malbec and there's an interesting breakfast menu – served daily, it includes everything from a full fry-up to roasted peaches accompanied by a morning cocktail list.
- Delivery: Deliveroo: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/new-town/cau-edinburgh
- Private dining: Up to 75 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 100 (20–30)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £19 per bottle