- Telephone 0131 226 2262
- Opening times Mon–Fri noon–11pm; Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price Two courses £11, three courses 13.
- Website www.caurestaurants.com
Slick city centre steakhouse chain with a Latin vibe.
Replacing Strada, Argentinian steak chain Cau rolled out its 23rd branch on bustling Castle Street. White metal corrugated panels and images of grass and blue skies line the room. Contrasted with dark suede furnishings and inky ceilings, the nightclub vibe may get you in the mood for dancing. Not a problem – swivel chairs spin incessantly mid-meal. Steamed mussels gatecrash the Hispanic starters of empanadas and anticuchos skewers, with wet vac-packed Aberdeen Angus complete with proper chips proving a popular choice to follow. Battered pollock tacos, loaded with peppers, kick off the great value weekday set menu with questionably pink Monterey Jack burgers and a carby side thrown in. Sadly the house Fancy Pants wine is anything but and the nonchalant 'Cauboys' and 'Caugirls' will have to up their service standards to impress.
- Delivery: Deliveroo: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/new-town/cau-edinburgh
- Private dining: Up to 75 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 100 (20–30)
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £19 per bottle