- Telephone 0131 202 6406
- Opening times Mon–Wed 8am–11pm; Thu & Fri 8am–midnight; Sat 9am–midnight; Sun 9am–11pm.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 5pm–3am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–11pm; Sat–Sun 9am–midnight.
- Average price £21.50; £27.50; £32.50; £40 (group bookings); £19 (evening meal)
- Website www.dishoom.com/edinburgh/
Enjoy a taste of historic Bombay with a British twist at this atmsopheric Irani café, open from breakfast until late.
There hasn’t been this much excitement about an opening since Krispy Kreme brought the M8 to a standstill in 2013. They’ve been queuing round the block for Dishoom, who have pulled out all the stops for their first opening outside London. The completely gutted 1920s former office feels like something from a more romantic time, with art deco fittings, green stained-glass windows and dividers splitting the dining room into cosy sections, belying its bustle and buzz. And the food? It’s different – based around influences brought to Bombay's café scene by Iranian immigrants, with a tiny bit of a British twist thrown in (bacon naan for breakfast? Yes please). Later in the day, look out for small plates; like it or loathe it calamari with a sweet honey drizzle, or cinnamon-seasoned vegetable samosa. Larger dishes include tikka paneer and a light, juicy coriander-infused lamb sheekh kebab (no sauce included so an excellent excuse to try the delicious, creamy, secret-recipe house black dhal). If you’ve managed not to over-order, dig into a melt-in the middle chocolate pudding or lightly flavoured thick pistachio kulfi. Wash the whole lot down with Dishoom IPA, a Thums Up cola, or a sweet, milky house chai.
- High point: A bustling film-set atmosphere in a great location
- Low point: The toilets are a lift ride away
- Notable dish: Bacon naan roll
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed jazz / easy listening / Indian
- Capacity: 140
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £20 per bottle
Reviews & features
2017 edition of The List Eating and Drinking Guide is released18 Apr 2017
Popular restaurant guide announces award winners including Norn, Bilson Eleven and The Scotch Malt Whisky Society
The 2017 edition of The List Eating and Drinking Guide is out and available to buy Wed 19 Apr. In the guide, the 24th annual round-up of the eating out scene in Edinburgh and Glasgow, nearly 1000 eating and drinking venues have been covered by a team of…