Crossing the Rubicon
- Telephone 0141 337 3111
- Bar open Mon–Wed 5pm–midnight; Thu/Fri noon–midnight; Sat/Sun 11am–midnight
- Food served Mon–Wed 5–10pm; Thu/Fri noon–10pm; Sat/Sun 11am–10pm
- Average price £5.95/£6.95 (one course); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.crossingtherubicon.com
Slightly whimsical venue serving craft beer and Indian small plates designed for tearing and sharing.
This new Drygate pub shares the ‘craft beer and curry’ template of its Edinburgh relative V Deep. It’s informal and playful – small portions of thick-sauced homestyle curries using good cuts of pork, venison and beef, while pakoras (chicken, haggis, fish) work nicely with even the hoppier beers. The curry of the day can be had in a scotch pie casing with masala baked beans. Maybe not fusion, but definitely fun – and a big taste, too. Beer-wise, the strength of Drygate’s hand is clear: 16 taps with a British – and especially Scottish – emphasis (Aberdeen’s Fierce Beer, Galashiels’ Tempest, Leith’s Pilot) as well as all of Drygate’s core range, including their apple ale, their gluten-free lager, and of course ‘Crossing The Rubicon’, a 6.9% West Coast-style IPA. It’s not as good as California’s best – but it’s also £4.90 a pint. In the West End of Glasgow, that’s pretty decent.
- High point: (Pretty decent) curry and (very good) beer
- Low point: Staff lack confidence with the menu
- Notable dish: Curry pie with masala beans
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Northern soul and old school hip hop
- Live entertainment: Quiz night on Sundays and 4-5 events a months including live music and meet the brewer nights
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Crossing the Rubicon Pub Quiz
Sir James drags the pub quiz into the 21st century with touch screen quiz antics. The prize is still good old-fashioned cash.
Slow Food Glasgow
Monthly events hosted by Slow Food Glasgow with the aim of discovering more about local food issues, activities and events.
Mon 3 Apr
£15 (Members £13) / 0141 337 3111
Big table dinner with vegan and non-vegan options available. Menu includes: poppadoms & pickles (vegan), veggie pakora & sauce (vegan), lamb achari or sweet potato korma (Vegan), chapatis (vegan), rice (vegan), salad (vegan) and coconut milk, chilli, lime & coriander sourdough bread (vegan).