Monkey Barrel Comedy
- Box office 0845 500 1056
- General enquiries 0131 225 5149
- Opening times Tue 7pm–midnight; Wed–Sun 10am–4.30pm & 7pm–midnight; closed Mon.
- Seasonal times Extended license during Fringe (3am)
- Bar open 10am–midnight
- Food served Wed–Sun 10am–4pm (dinner available during evening performances if pre-ordered online 7 days in advance). Closed Mon/Tue.
- Pre-theatre times £35 weekdays, £45 Sat & Sun, pre–order 7 days in advance
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £35–£45 (depending on night) platter, including prosecco and show ticket
- Pre-theatre price £35–45 (depending on night) platter, including prosecco and show ticket pre-order 7 days in advanced
- Website www.monkeybarrelcomedy.com
Plush, red-hued comedy club offering inexpensive café food.
Greeted by ceiling-high paintings of Pete & Dud, Billy Connolly, and Rowan Atkinson on entry, you’re left in no doubt – Monkey Barrel Comedy is a paean to all things funny. The comedy venue hosts a variety of evening shows, from newbies to seasoned professionals, and intriguing spoken word events during the day. If you’re after sustenance with your stand-up, owner David Bleese has worked wonders in his oh-so-wee kitchen to ensure just about every whim is met. There’s a brief but choice breakfast menu, and a café-style selection throughout the day, including hearty chilli (veggie and beef), soups, quiche and sandwiches. A spiced falafel salad is pepped up with sweet roast squash, a lake of hummus at its centre. A remarkably gregarious barista promises the best coffee in town, and his boasting isn’t far off the mark – an americano is smooth and strong, while teas are creative offerings from Rosevear. In the evenings, there’s a variety of extraordinarily good-value meal deals, such as a mixed platter for two and a bottle of prosecco to be enjoyed during a show. Everything you’d want for a night out.
- High point: You'll rarely get a warmer welcome in Edinburgh, particularly with a wee one
- Low point: Having to pre-order evening meals requires a bit of foresight
- Notable dish: Banana cake
In the heart of Edinburgh’s old town, Monkey Barrel Comedy’s brand venue brings with it an alternative approach to Edinburgh’s art scene.
By night, we are an award-winning comedy club (Best Small Club, Scottish Comedy Awards 2016) offering great food, drink and top stand-up until midnight.
By day we are a family friendly café offering home-made and locally sourced food and drink. Vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options are available, as is our children’s menu.
The venue has wheelchair access, ample space for buggies, highchairs and baby changing facilities.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: ask for details
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nick Drake and Belle & Sebastian
- Live entertainment: Comedy shows, gigs, spoken word events
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Events at this venue
There are 15 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
The Cutting Room
Performers take on suggestions from the audience, creating new scenes and situations as if like magic.
Fun by the Ton
Thursday lunchtime special with Scots stories, poetry, drama and songs.
An Imp-Revised History of the World
Improvised history from Edinburgh's own Smoky Monkeys.
Sun 11 Jun
Me Plus One – Improv with Two People
Improv from Mark Craig and special guest.
Sun 11 Jun
Monkey Barrel Comedy's Big Friday Show
Three up-and-coming Scottish acts each night, with a national headliner.
Fri 26 May
Fri 2 Jun
Fri 9 Jun
Monkey Barrel Comedy's Big Saturday Show
Monkey Barrel Comedy brings you a cracking night of premier stand up comedy in the heart of Edinburgh every Saturday night. All held together by our experienced and deftly interactive host, the legendary Rick Molland ("Molland is the perfect compere" - Three Weeks), each show features three of the best up-and-coming…
Sat 27 May
Sat 3 Jun
Sat 10 Jun
Open Improv Night
An informal open mic night – anyone can sign up for a slot, then there's an improv jam.
Sundays at Monkey Barrel Comedy are our rising star showcase shows! Each week resident host Rick Molland ("Molland is the perfect compere" – Three Weeks) presents a selection of the very best up-and-coming acts from Scotland and beyond, with a stonking national headliner to top it all off. Want to see the stars of…
New stuff from Scottish and international comedians.
Saturday Morning Kids Activities
A series of regular morning events presenting some of the best storytelling, crafting, comedy and family entertainment that Edinburgh has to offer.
Improvised comedy musical by the Smoky Monkeys.
Spontaneous Sherlock's Monthly Mystery
Scotland's hottest improv comedy show, and the biggest free improvised comedy show of EdFringe 2015 and 2016.
To Be Continued and Couch/Tinderellas
Improv from Absolute Improv, To Be Continued, Tinderellas and more.
Sun 4 Jun
Catch the stars of the future right at the beginning every Wednesday night at our new act competition! Each show a welcoming host presents a magnificent seven promising comedy hopefuls vying for the audience vote to become Top Banana. We also have established acts dropping by to road-test some new material, and a…
Twisted Edge Workshops
Stand-up comedy workshop from Twisted Edge.