- Telephone 0131 662 0899
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–midnight; Fri 8am–1am; Sat 9am–1am; Sun 9am–11pm.
- Seasonal times Festival: extended opening hours
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11–1am; Sun 11am–11pm.
- Average price £9 (lunch); £9 (evening meal)
- Website montebar.wordpress.com
Formerly The Montague, this revived bar on the Southside of Edinburgh has an impressive selection of whisky and craft beer, as well as serving coffee and pizzas.
Montebar may not look like much from the outside, with its fading red paint and 'old man pub' aesthetic, but on the inside it's simple and stylish – not to mention a haven for whisky lovers. (Bonus points: they serve pizza too.) Locals will remember the bar as the old Montague, but this new venture has upped the drink stakes significantly with a solid range of craft beers and single malts. There are also regular live music nights, plus a weekly quiz to keep those Southside minds ticking over. The bar staff are all well versed in the art of whisky (and gin, and just about any other beverage you care to mention) and if you need a perk-up before the walk home, worry not: they serve excellent coffee, too.
- High point: Superb whisky selection
- Low point: A wee bit out of the way
- Notable dish: Balmoral pizza
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Regular live music nights
- Open since: 2016 August
Events at this venue
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
The Jennifer Ewan Band The Jennifer Ewan Band presents an exhilarating melting pot of heartfelt original songs and old-time Louisiana Creole and Cajun dance classics. As well as performing beautiful new Scottish pop, this upcoming songwriter and her bayou band demonstrate an easy familiarity with the older dance music…