The Pakora Bar
- Telephone 0131 225 1115
- Opening times Daily: 11am–3am.
- Seasonal times During festival open until 1am weekdays
- Food served Mon–Wed 11am–10pm; Thu 11am–11pm; Fri 11am–3am; Sat 8am–3am; Sun 8am–6pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch); £10 (evening meal)
Small, quirky Indian street food bar serving vegan and veggie Punjabi food until the early hours.
Although it’s open until 3am at weekends, there’s far more to this cheerful, orange-painted pakora bar than a late-night stop off for drunken, hungry revellers. Brothers Mark and Paul Singh run the business, with mum Rajinder doing the cooking. The family started off taking their Punjabi street food around festivals in a van, where long queues of enthusiastic punters made them realise they were on to something. Day jobs dumped, they've now set up on Hanover Street full-time. Haggis pakora, served with mango and hint-of-chilli chutney is a speciality, but there's a huge variety on offer, with lots of vegan choices like the brilliant cauliflower pakora. There's chicken tikka, paneer and even bread stuffing as well as curry, wraps, spicy and warming soups and full Scottish or Indian (paratha and purgi) breakfasts. It’s BYOB, and there’s a DJ on the last Saturday of the month.
- High point: Fresh, home-cooked pakora
- Low point: Seats at a premium
- Notable dish: Haggis pakora
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Punjabi, Hindi, movie music
- Live entertainment: DJ playing R'n'B and hip hop on the last Saturday of the month
- Capacity: 20 (2 outdoors)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2016
- BYOB: £5 corkage