The Pakora Bar
- Telephone 0131 225 1115
- Opening times Daily: 11am–3am.
- Seasonal times Festival: open until 1am weekdays
- Food served Mon–Wed 11am–10pm; Thu 11am–11pm; Fri 11am–3am; Sat 8am–3am; Sun 8am–6pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch); £10 (evening meal)
- Website the-pakora-bar.co.uk
Small, quirky Indian street food bar serving vegan and veggie Punjabi food until the early hours.
Although it’s open until 3am at weekends, there’s far more to this cheerful, orange-painted pakora bar than a late-night stop off for drunken, hungry revellers. Brothers Mark and Paul Singh run the business, with mum Rajinder doing the cooking. The family started off taking their Punjabi street food around festivals in a van, where long queues of enthusiastic punters made them realise they were on to something. Day jobs dumped, they've now set up on Hanover Street full-time. Haggis pakora, served with mango and hint-of-chilli chutney is a speciality, but there's a huge variety on offer, with lots of vegan choices like the brilliant cauliflower pakora. There's chicken tikka, paneer and even bread stuffing as well as curry, wraps, spicy and warming soups and full Scottish or Indian (paratha and purgi) breakfasts. It’s BYOB, and there’s a DJ on the last Saturday of the month.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Punjabi, Hindi, movie music
- Live entertainment: DJ playing R'n'B and hip hop on the last Saturday of the month
- Capacity: 20 (2 outdoors)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2016
- BYOB: £5 corkage
Reviews & features
Best vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Edinburgh31 May 2018
Restaurants that cater to meat-free and dairy-free diets
If you're sick of seeing salads as the only veggie option on the menu, here's a list of places that serve entirely vegan and vegetarian cuisine or offer good options as part of a wider menu.
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.