Chop House Market Street
- Telephone 0131 629 1551
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat 10am–1am.
- Seasonal times Festival: bar open till 3am
- Bar open Mon–Fri noon–1am; Sat/Sun 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10.30pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10.30pm.
- Average price £9 one course express lunch (set lunch); £37 (evening meal)
- Website www.chophousesteak.co.uk
It's all about the steak in this funky conversion of a historic arch in the Old Town.
Edinburgh's second Chop House – a sister to the 2015 original in Leith from the guys behind Monteiths and Sygn – anchors a row of independent shops and cafés at the New Waverley Arches. The interior is a real treat – a chunky metal frame sitting inside the arch’s curvy glints of granite and stone. On entry there’s the expected hit of charcoal, but with a slightly bitter edge, moving the vibe away from family barbeque to something altogether darker and sexier. Service is brisk and confident: well-drilled staff recite cuts and cooking temperatures while pouring water from carafes with satisfyingly clunky cork stoppers. Starters focus on sharing (mostly) fishy bites – tempura prawns, crispy squid – but it’s the meat which takes top billing here. Sourced mainly from Shaw’s of Lauder and Hardiesmill then dry-aged in house for 35 days, there are four cuts: rump, sirloin, rib-eye and fillet as well as larger sharing cuts like chateaubriand. And it’s pretty damn near perfect – cooked exactly as it should be, properly seasoned, with a smoky crust. Sides are strong (but with only a sauce included, the bill will mount up if you go mad for the chips). All in, this is the perfect place for a seal the deal steak.
- High point: That steak
- Low point: Thumping bass you can feel through your feet
- Notable dish: Steak!
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Loud bass.
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2016 August
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £20 per bottle