Chop House Market Street
- Telephone 0131 629 1551
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat 10am–1am.
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sat 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–10.30pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10.30pm.
- Website www.chophousesteak.co.uk
Fantastic steaks, beautiful cocktails and magnificent views of Calton Hill.
There’s nothing ordinary about Chop House Market Street; from the setting in a converted arch looking out over the city, to the quality of ingredients, it's all special. The menu isn’t overly complicated – it’s based around simple dishes made with great ingredients. Well-drilled and knowledgeable staff expertly talk you through the different cuts, the best way to cook them, and the best wines to pair them with. Beef is carefully sourced, skilfully dry-aged, then cooked on a coal grill to delicious effect. Sides are strong too: onion rings are crispy outside but tender inside, and the mash with gravy has a distinctive rustic feel. For dessert, chocolate orange tart served with a scoop of burnt orange ice-cream is a delight, with the bitterness of the chocolate and ice-cream balancing the sweetness to end your meal on a high note.
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop, soul, R&B
- Capacity: 60 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: Flexible
- Open since: 2016 August
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 27
- House wine: £22 per bottle
- BYOB: (Tue/Wed BYOB for £5 corkage)
Reviews & features
Best gourmet meat joints in Edinburgh16 Apr 2018
Steaks, burgers and everything else: where to get the best cuts of juicy meat in the city
High-end steak restaurants are booming in the capital and the appetite for specialist aged beef served in sleek surroundings shows no sign of being satiated.
Not on the High Street1 Nov 2016
Take a stroll along East Market Street's Waverley Arches, Edinburgh's newest eating and drinking quarter
Most successful eating and drinking destinations are born, not made. A chef opens their first restaurant, a bright spark refurbs the pub next door and slowly, slowly, a Shore or Stockbridge emerges. It tends not to work quite as well when the process is…