- Telephone 0141 204 1616
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri–Sat noon–12am
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri–Sat noon–10:30pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price PT not offered but recently running a deal, per couple, of 5 dishes plus a bottle of prosecco for £40
- Website www.halloumiglasgow.co.uk
Newcomer Halloumi dishes up Greek-Cypriot cuisine in a fresh, bold and confident manner, within a styilsh, contemporary diner.
Halloumi evokes the primary aesthetic associations of the Mediterranean with that of the current trend in restaurant design – the cyan frontage is the perfect precursor to an interior of marbled, mosaic flooring, exposed white brickwork and low hanging lights that hover just above thick wooden tables. Launched last summer, the food is characterised by its commitment to the Greek-Cypriot mezze style of eating, meaning dishes are shared and arrive at staggered points throughout the meal. The stress is clearly on bold flavours derived from few ingredients. A large octopus tentacle is a case in point – its outside sweetly charred to just the right side of cooked, served with a simple garnish of smoked paprika and hummus. There’s a quartet of meats available from the grill, with the lamb souvlaki consisting of well-seasoned, speared rump and is a steal at £6.75. Vegetarians are well catered for with the pick spanakopita – a comforting and moreish dish of pastry, spinach and goats’ cheese. A glance at Halloumi’s menu shows it to be, with a few exceptions, a traditional Greek-Cypriot restaurant, but in its style and energy it is both thoroughly contemporary and charming.
- High point: Menu is, across the board, genuinely appealing – begs for repeat visits
- Low point: Bottle of Greek wine comes in over £25
- Notable dish: Grilled octopus
Modern Greek Cypriot cuisine, cooked from scratch using home-grown, locally-sourced ingredients. Food made for sharing. Small plates; big flavours, so grab your friends, switch off your phones and take a seat at our table.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Priced via Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funky
- Capacity: 54-60
- Largest group: 25-30
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle