The Hippo Taproom
- Telephone 0141 353 3400
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9pm
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website hippotaproom.co.uk
Independent taproom with low lights, 12 rotating lines and an impressive bottle fridge starring West Coast America and Germany.
Hippo is perhaps the most independent of Glasgow’s burgeoning number of taprooms, attached only to its sister venue bottle shop in the West End. That said, there’s much camaraderie and cross-pollination among the scene and it’s often the quirks of the bottle range and the character of the venue that set them apart. Hippo is a rather chilled character, located in a basement space with lots of booths, scope for privacy, and a bar that doesn’t try to be the focal point. Instead, an unassuming table menu shows off some 30 or so beers from each of America, Britain and Belgium/Germany, with the Pacific Northwest particularly well attended. Eight keg and four cask lines complete the range. The menu has changed a few times and the bar has latterly embraced the trend for kitchen takeovers – most notably from Glaswegian burger legend El Perro Negro and his preposterously rich, consistently praised creations. Such events are on Sundays, though a more permanent ‘pop-up’ resident is likely to happen in 2017.
- High point: The beer menus and the delights that they offer
- Low point: Struggles for atmosphere when its quiet
- Notable dish: El Perro Negro's burgers during his pop-ups
- Provides: Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Typically rock, pretty eclectic
- Live entertainment: Comedy nights
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2016
Events at this venue
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Pirate Life Brewing Showcase
A showcase of one of Australia's most exciting breweries.
A £50 bar tab awaits the victors in this friendly pub quiz.