- Telephone 0131 228 6863
- Bar open Mon/Tue & Sun noon–11pm; Wed–Sat noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu & Sun noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–4pm; Sat/Sun noon–5pm
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.topolabamba.com
Mini Scottish chain serving an interesting mix of Mexican-style street food and drinks in a vibrant, colourful environment.
Spectrums of hanging lights, dangles of bright red chilli, gilt mirrors framed with Frida Khalo, Dali-esque geckos above the bar: Topolabamba brings a happy tapas of Pacific coast primary colour to Lothian Road. The three-strong Scottish chain goes all in on the fun-time sunshine vibes, its fiesta of knick-knackery, graffiti walls and gleeful Day of the Dead wallpaper (even in the loos) is a fitting setting for sharing a sprawling selection of street food-y dishes with friends over a few Friday night frozen Margaritas. Inspired by their own travels, the owners have spiced up the standard Mexican selection with a mix n Mex of tapas dishes, like crab ceviche, queso fundido, big Californian Gulf Coast prawns, chipotle bbq pulled beef burger on a torta roll (go on, slap on some chipotle sauce!) and chorizo taquitos. Then take the heat off with churros or a tequila toffee pineapple dessert. While not every dish sings, Topolabamba offers a no-fuss, fun stop on a night out. Don’t forget to ask for a sombrero.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Hispanic beats
- Capacity: 116
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.45 per bottle