- Telephone 0131 556 8092
- Opening times Mon noon–2.30pm & 5–9pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm & 5–10pm; Sat 10am–10pm; Sun 10am–9pm.
- Food served Mon 10am–2.30pm, 5–9pm; Tue–Fri 10am–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sat 10am–4pm, 5–10pm; Sun 10am–4pm, 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Must vacate table by 7.15pm
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website educatedflea.co.uk
Busy wee venue running lively brunches, lunches and dinners with good measures of imagination and cheer.
This tiny bistro punches above its weight in a street well-served for bars and restaurants. A genuinely warm welcome awaits new guests and returning friends alike inside a bright, simple space where bare tables and chairs hug the edge of a room broken up by a small bar. The menu offers a spread of bistro dishes with a modern and, at times, exotic twist but ingredients that look overly ambitious on the page do come together deliciously on the plate. Paprika-roasted baby octopus with sweet and sour carrot, lotus biscuit crumb and ginger dressing makes for a memorable starter while tamarind duck breast with charred cauliflower, confit squash, broad beans and rhubarb compote is as much a joy to the eye as the tongue. The peckish will appreciate the side bar of delights including crispy pig’s ears with aioli, and pistachio and feta dip with chips. The wine list is brief but does the job perfectly well and there is a well-stocked bar if you fancy something stronger.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funk and soul
- Capacity: 25
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best bistros and brasseries in Edinburgh16 Apr 2018
Sample some of Edinburgh's best cuisine in bistros across the city
From wee neighbourhood suppers to big shiny nights out, Edinburgh's bistros and brasseries are ever-evolving. Their sheer variety means you can expect everything from innovative dishes to old-time classics, from long-time institutions to new favourites.