- Telephone 0131 556 8092
- Opening times Mon noon–2.30pm & 5–9pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm & 5–10pm; Sat 10am–10pm; Sun 10am–9pm.
- Food served Mon 10am–2.30pm, 5–9pm; Tue–Fri 10am–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sat 10am–10pm; Sun 10am–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Must vacate table by 7.15pm
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website educatedflea.co.uk
Creative menu offering new takes, twists and fusions on bistro classics in ample servings.
Birds do it, bees do it, now Educated Flea does it in lively, foodie Broughton Street. From the team that brought Edinburgh the bistro delights of Three Birds and Apiary, the hits keep coming as Educated Flea completes its first merry year. Nibble on some crispy pigs ear and aioli or feta and pistachio dip while debating the creative menu options and sipping wine. Venison haggis meatballs, browned and juicy, enjoy the tang of whisky jam but a lobster salad, while tasty, is a bit slim on the seafood. Seared lamb rump is cheerfully pink, on a bed of garlicky hummus and dressed in honey-smoked yoghurt. Daily specials include rare sirloin of beef with onion jus and market fish served with rose harissa butter and cumin polenta fries. Mangorita mess tosses toasted meringue and ginger nuts with mango and tequila cream in a surprising twist that leaves Eton in the shade. Simpler tastes may opt for one of the many flavours of homemade ice-cream. Scoop of smoked jalapeno, anyone?
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funk and soul
- Capacity: 25
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £16 per bottle