An attractive bar that pleases a varied crowd, offering classics done well.
A transformation of the former Links Hotel and Bar, Black Ivy is a welcome addition to Bruntsfield. Popular with locals during the week and drawing groups from further afield at the weekend with live music and jazz brunches, the leafy bar makes good use of mixed materials to offer stylish surroundings, while the work space that doubles up as a ping pong table in the evening gives a cheeky wink to hipster culture. The kitchen isn't trying to win any prizes for innovation with fish and chips, burgers and steak pie, but they do these crowd-pleasers well. Two bars service all the current trends; flavoursome cocktails (with clever monikers of course), perfect gin serves with premium tonic and bespoke garnishes and a nice variety of wine and bubbles. Beer aficionados also enjoy a good selection between the fridges and taps, including Innis & Gunn tank serves for maximum freshness.
- Private dining: Up to 33 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 22
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live music Fri/Sat; jazz brunch Sun afternoon.
- Capacity: 110 (30 outdoors)
- Largest group: 33
- Open since: Nov 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £18 per bottle