Art and Vintage
- Telephone 0131 652 2433
- Opening times Tue–Fri 8.30am–5.30pm; Sat 9am–5pm; Sun 10am–5pm; closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Fri 8.30am–5.30pm; Sat 9am–5pm; Sun 10am–5pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £6.50 (lunch)
- Website artandvintage.co.uk
Shop, art gallery and café serving healthy seasonal food, home baking and coffee plus interesting vintage finds and contemporary art works.
Setting up shop in a resurgent Abbeyhill, Art and Vintage was opened by a chef/artist duo looking for a way to pursue their shared passions. Inside, it’s bright but cosy, with formica tables and original artwork on the walls. Food-wise, there’s a breakfast menu, daily specials, soup and sandwiches, all made in-house. Colourful salad plates are piled high with veggies, pickles and slaw, all full of flavour and well-seasoned. The home baking is great, including a stem ginger and orange cake with tangy icing, a great match for coffee from Edinburgh Tea and Coffee in Portobello. Part café, part art gallery and part vintage shop, the latter offers a selection of pieces from late Victorian to mid-century, including glassware, ceramics and kitchenalia. Evening dinners and events with local makers and artists all strengthen a commitment to promoting an independent spirit in this part of Edinburgh.
- High point: Tasty, great value food in relaxed surroundings
- Low point: Mid-century modern geeks may need to watch their wallets
- Notable dish: Salad plate with chicken
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Playlist of jazz, blues, funk and soul.
- Capacity: 24 (8 outdoors)
- Largest group: Whole venue can be booked for events - 24 no. seated.
- Open since: 2016