- Telephone 0131 202 6256
- Opening times Mon–Fri 8am–11pm; Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–11pm; Sat 9am–11pm; Sun 9am–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–7pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £20.20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.cote-restaurants.co.uk/cote/…
Classic French food and wine in a relaxed all-day dining environment.
This spot in Frederick Street, a stone’s throw from bustling George Street, has undergone a stylish transformation into a bright, airy Edinburgh outpost of the London-based chain. Formerly a shop selling high-end traditional cookers, it's now a restaurant selling top-notch traditional cooking. The floor space is neatly divided into several small sections, adding a cosier feel to a substantial area. All-day dining covers brunch and à la carte options, as well as a full gluten-free menu and a keenly priced lunch and early evening deal, with some ingredients sourced from France. Among the starters, a warm leek dish, served with boiled eggs and sourdough croutons in a vinaigrette, packs a punch and sets the scene for mains brimming with flavour, such as moist chargrilled chicken breast served alongside creamy gratin potatoes and a jus that brings balance. Desserts are traditional French favourites, likely to include an apple tarte tatin that rounds off an experience typical of the Parisian brasseries on which Côte is modelled.
- High point: Good value lunch and early dining offers
- Low point: Hefty 12.5% service charge added to the bill
- Notable dish: Leek vinaigrette
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Cover versions
- Capacity: 150 (outdoors varies according to season)
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle