Shilling Brewing Company
The UK-wide Glendola Leisure group serve up their own beer and pizzas in an attractive building in the city centre – with six in-house brews, plus Scottish and global beers.
From its impressive marble corner unit near Buchanan Street, the Shilling Brewing Company is starting to find its groove. At first it felt like a brewpub out of sorts, torn between too many office workers and not enough hopheads. But just as the fire burning from their big stone pizza oven at the back has been steady and unwavering, so too has their template. Their core range is brewed on site (like the visible oven, you can see the copper kettles behind the bar), with a more traditional, less hop-forward style than found elsewhere. They’ve started doing collaborations with other brewers, and the 20-plus keg lines allow for some heavy hitting guest kegs from Scotland (Cromarty, Fallen, Pilot) and beyond. Starter/sharer plates are a bit haphazard, but the pizzas are great – made with ale dough and gloriously chewy, tuggy and charred on the outside, with the Moroccan (lamb, aubergine, preserved lemon and almonds) standing out.
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Rock, pop
- Live entertainment: live music nights Fri/Sat nights planned for 2017
- Capacity: 120 (16 outdoors)
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £20 per bottle