- Telephone 0131 557 5754
- Opening times Tue–Thu & Sun noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–3pm, 6–10.30pm; Closed Mon.
- Seasonal times Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm during August
- Food served Wed–Sun noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Website lovagerestaurant.co.uk
Seasonal Scottish ingredients, modern European recipes and a taste of Poland make for surprising and delicious meals at this relaxed Old Town bistro
This small, friendly spot just off the Royal Mile stands out in the increasingly crowded market of places serving a modern European take on Scottish ingredients. Brothers Lukasz and Bartek Jedrejek bring more than a touch of their Polish roots to their cooking. Pickled herring with apple and Jerusalem artichoke sits alongside a sour rye soup and a wild garlic velouté in the starters section, while mains include spätzle with curd cheese and chestnuts, hake in curry sauce and pork with sauerkraut and black pudding. The emphasis is on using cheaper Scottish seasonal ingredients to keep the prices down, eschewing the principles of fine high-end dining in favour of the French idea of ‘bistronomy’ – humbler food served in a more relaxed atmosphere. It’s a winning formula. The food surprises and delights in equal measure and the bill won’t burn a hole in your pocket. It’s not the largest space, and the boldly decorated dining area is split rather awkwardly into three sections, but there is something genuinely different being dished up at Lovage.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz and blues
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2016
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £18 per bottle