Drawing on the skills of the community and the boundless energy of its owners, Milk Café provides an unforgettable experience for lovers of good food and coffee.
Shabby chic, inventive cooking and social enterprise come together in Milk Café in a wonderfully natural way. Owner-chefs Angela and Gabby feed profits from their remarkable little Victoria Road café into language, art and cookery classes for local migrant women and children. Generous jugs of fresh flowers are everywhere, the chalkboard menu changes daily, often including unusual ethnic dishes prepared by volunteers from the local migrant community. At the weekend there is an all-day brunch offering plates heaped with delights such as roast vegetable and feta omelette, or halloumi and salsa on walnut bread. A volunteer might make a spicy Eritrean stew and there are always bacon rolls with homemade brown sauce. Cutlery and china is delightfully mismatched without being twee and the rightly popular cakes are redolent with cardamom, cinnamon, pistachio, lemon and strong dark chocolate. Bread is from Freedom Bakery at Low Moss Prison and coffee from Café Feminina from a Peruvian women-only co-operative.
- High point: A truly ethical approach taken to all aspects of the café
- Low point: Can be very busy with lots going on
- Notable dish: Smoked salmon with buttery herby greens and eggs
As well as serving great tea and coffee MILK is working alongside some incredible and inspiring women from all over the world to bring you mouthwatering home-cooked food, put on events and make a welcoming, creative space in the heart of Glasgow's Southside.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mix of easy listening
- Live entertainment: Open mic music nights
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 14 at round table 28 at small tables
- Open since: 2015
- BYOB: £2 corkage (Normally people do BYOB for specially arranged evening events it is possible during the day but respect to be paid to customer mix)