Vibrant takeaway with tables in the heart of Leith Walk.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Desi Pakwan is primarily a takeaway and delivery restaurant, but to appreciate the full experience it’s worth taking one of a handful of tables. There, you can admire the chefs simmering, seasoning and grilling Punjabi favourites. It’s also a joy to smell the aromas from the charcoal grill: a kebab from Desi’s contains juicy chargrilled chunks of chicken or lamb – a far cry from the shavings from 'elephants’ legs' with which many rival establishments fill their pittas. There's also a good selection of steaks, burgers and more traditional curries.
- High point: The sizzle and smell of cooking over charcoal
- Low point: Trying to eat a hefty kebab without swamping the table in sauce
- Notable dish: Chicken kebab roll
- Delivery: Deliver from noon to 10.30 pm within 3 mile radius
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Capacity: 20
- BYOB: Free corkage