August_21 Coffee House
- Telephone 0131 629 2080
- Food served Mon–Fri 8.30am–5pm; Sat 9am–5pm; Sun 10am–5pm.
- Average price £5 (set lunch); £15 (set evening meal)
Cool little neighbourhood café offering breakfast, lunch, hot drinks and home baking from quality suppliers.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Named for the day it opened, August 21 is Earthy co-founder Pete Jackson's attempt at infusing Edinburgh’s burgeoning café culture with a more inclusive, neighbourhood feel. The Causewayside original, a mash-up of mid-century chic and Victoriana glamour, is a daytime affair, offering a range of hot and cold sandwiches and alluring cookies, brownies and cakes, with coffee from Glasgow-based roaster Matthew Algie. Expect picnic-style takeaway salad boxes to follow in time for summer too. The second venue in Comiston, which opened early 2016, harbours bigger aspirations, with additional evening opening planned around a menu that celebrates simple, local food combined with some global inspiration.
- High point: Lovely atmosphere
- Low point: Limited food options at Causewayside
- Private dining: Up to 11 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz/classical
- Live entertainment: Live jazz at curry nights
- Capacity: 45 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2015