August_21 Coffee House
- Telephone 0131 629 2080
- Food served Mon–Fri 8.30am–5pm; Sat 9am–5pm; Sun 10am–5pm.
- Average price £5 (set lunch); £15 (set evening meal)
Cool little neighbourhood café offering breakfast, lunch, hot drinks and home baking from quality suppliers.
Located in the heart of Causewayside, August 21 Coffee House serves hot drinks, breakfast and lunch plus a great display of cakes and pastries. Older sister to the Comiston Road branch, inside it’s surprisingly spacious, with industrial chic décor and the odd bit of taxidermy. There’s well-brewed coffee from Matthew Algie and generously filled sandwiches such as pastrami and brie, as well as a daily veggie soup and platters of fresh, seasonal salad. Cakes include a range of locally made gluten-free baking (and some dairy-free options), such as a rhubarb and apple cake that’s moist and fruity and really not for sharing with anyone else. Downstairs, a communal table is available for laptop users, handy for students and freelancers along with the free wifi. A monthly curry club gives August 21 the chance to offer evening dining, with good value BYOB too.
- High point: Cool neighbourhood coffee house, good for work or play
- Low point: One very small loo, not suitable for disabled customers
- Notable dish: Rhubarb and apple cake
- Private dining: Up to 11 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz/classical
- Live entertainment: Live jazz at curry nights
- Capacity: 45 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2015