- Telephone 0131 629 2080
- Food served Mon–Fri 8.30am–5pm; Sat/Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £5 (soup & sandwich)
Cool little neighbourhood café with great brownies and picnic boxes planned for the summer.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Named for the day it opened, August 21 is Earthy co-founder Pete Jackson's attempt at infusing Edinburgh’s burgeoning café culture with a more inclusive, neighbourhood feel. The Causewayside original, a mash-up of mid-century chic and Victoriana glamour, is a daytime affair, offering a range of hot and cold sandwiches and alluring cookies, brownies and cakes, with coffee from Glasgow-based roaster Matthew Algie. Expect picnic-style takeaway salad boxes to follow in time for summer too. The second venue in Comiston, which opened early 2016, harbours bigger aspirations, with additional evening opening planned around a menu that celebrates simple, local food combined with some global inspiration.
- High point: Lovely atmosphere
- Low point: Limited food options at Causewayside
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions
- Open since: 2015